Tips to Keep a Garage Door in Good Working Condition
There is no doubt about it, garage doors made today tend to last longer than those in the 1950’s and 1960’s. This can be due to a number of things. It can be because of the material used to make them or the components used to make them easier and smoother to operate. There are also more options for consumers to choose from than ever before. We know that most people look at their garage door as an extension of their property but rarely, if ever, do they give it the same amount of care and attention that they give to their property. This can be a problem if you do not want to turn around 5 years from now to buy another one.
Some people are so abusive to their doors that they have to replace them or continue to have repairs made to them constantly. This becomes a very expensive habit. Rather than spending money on a new garage door every couple of years, wouldn’t it make more sense to take care of the one you have so that you can have it for longer. With regular routine maintenance provided to your garage door, it is possible for you to keep your garage door for longer than 5 years. You should choose a date, every month, to perform a visual inspection of your garage door, garage door opener and components. Maintaining your garage door and inspecting it on a monthly basis will also serve as a safety pre-caution.
Just like any other appliance in your home, you have to take care of it if it is going to last as long as possible. You shouldn’t just open and close the door without giving consideration to how it operates. Often times we just open and close it without ever looking back. Keeping your garage door in good working condition requires that you actually put in some time to make sure the parts are all working correctly too.
Maintenance and Inspection
While some people would rather allow a qualified service professional, such as the ones from Alpharetta Garage Door Repair in Alpharetta, GA to handle the maintenance and inspection of their garage door, it is also a good idea to know what they will be doing and looking for. Here are some of the things that are typically done when a professional garage door service inspects and handles the maintenance of your garage door.
- Adjust springs tension. Since the springs are wound tightly and under high tension, we recommend that a trained professional perform the job of adjusting them. They can cause you serious injury if you attempt to handle this on your own.
- The garage door cables, drums and bottom brackets should all be properly maintained in order to keep your door operating effectively and to avoid injury. Again, we suggest that you allow a qualified service professional to handle this for you. These parts are also under high tension.
- The garage door springs, rollers and hinges need to be lubricated regularly. It is best to use a garage door lube when lubricating these parts of your garage door if you do not wish for your tracts to become clogged.
- Inspect to find out if there is any lose nuts or screws. They need to be tightened if any are discovered.
- The balance of the door will be checked with every inspection. If you attempt to open the door manually but there is some resistance, it will need to be balanced.
Since the garage door opener is the heart of your garage door, it is important to also perform safety and maintenance checks on a monthly basis.
- You can check the owner’s manual for specific procedures for checking safety features.
- Always make sure that your door has the reversing feature. This serves as a safety precaution to avoid the door from shutting when something or someone is in its path. If your manual doesn’t show that your opener has one, have it replaced.
- Check the reverse feature of your garage door by completely opening the garage door with the opener. Place a bar on the ground in the middle of the door. Try closing the door with the opener, if it doesn’t reverse, the opener will need to be repaired or replaced.
Another way to maintain your garage and keep it at an optimal temperature, it should be insulated. Depending on how you will use your garage, it might be important to have it insulated. Insulating your garage door will keep it at a cooler temperature, which often enables homeowners to use their garage for much more than just storing their car. They can use it as a home gym, office, game room or even a workshop. The temperature can get really hot inside a garage and uncomfortable. In order to maintain a durable garage door, it is a good idea to have a thermal insulated garage door that has an R-value with steel skin on the interior and exterior of the door.
Garage Door Types
There are all sorts of doors to choose from now-a-days, such as, Tuscan style, Spanish, Contemporary, Modern and Western. Some are made of stamped steel raised panels, carriage style, urethane insulated, Fiberglass doors, Aluminum, Wood, Wrought iron, glass aluminum and more. Keeping your garage door for a longer amount of time than usual may also depend on the type of garage door you have installed. An expert can help you make a wise decision in regard to the type of door to have installed if you want a long lasting garage door.
We hope we have given you enough to consider when it comes to the maintenance and inspection of your garage door. We also we have considered enough to make sure you think seriously about the consequences of your not maintaining your garage door on a regular basis. If you need further assistance, request information from any Alpharetta garage door service.